Firefighters narrowly escape roof collapse in Beltsville house fire
- Photo: pgfireems.com
Firefighters escaped a burning house just before a partial roof collapse in Beltsville Sunday afternoon.
The fire in the 8700 block of Bolvelder Drive in Beltsville displaced a family of two adults and five children, said Erroll W. George, a spokesperson for Prince George’s Fire/ EMS.
Fire/EMS units from Beltsville and surrounding stations arrived within minutes of a call shortly before 4:30 p.m. and encountered heavy smoke and fire showing from the two-story single family home with an attached garage.
The partial roof collapse occurred shortly after personnel were ordered to evacuate the structure due to deteriorating conditions. All firefighters evacuated safely and the firefight continued from the safety of the exterior.
It required about 20 minutes to extinguish the bulk of the fire. There were 65 firefighter/medics, command officers and support personnel that operated on the scene.
There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.
The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental as a result of improper disposal of grilling materials and fire loss has been estimated at $400,000 for structure and contents.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.