Wynetta Wright shot dead; Richmond Phillips charged with first-degree murder, manslaughter

Decrease Increase Text size

Funeral services were held Friday for a woman and her one-year-old daughter who were allegedly killed by a MPD detective.

Songs of sadness filled the Temple of Praise Friday morning as friends and family, many with heavy hearts, gathered to honor the lives of Wynetta and Jaylin Wright.

The mother and daughter lying together in one casket after their tragic deaths.

“It's indescribable, it hurts my heart to know that she went through that,” said Andrea Smith, the victim’s cousin.

Wynetta Wright’s ex-boyfriend, D.C. police officer Richmond Phillips, is charged with murdering her and her daughter, Jaylin.

After a wake at 10 a.m. Friday at the Temple of Praise in Southeast,  the funeral began at 11 a.m.

Family recall mother

Friends and family describe the 20-year-old mother as sweet, outgoing and determined. She was a member of the Prince George’s County Sheriff’s Explorer program and one day had a dream of becoming a sheriff’s deputy.

Many who attended the funeral say it’s still hard to wrap their heads around the horrific crime that happened to the mother and daughter.

Phillips, 39, is charged with killing Wright. He is also facing manslaughter charges in the death of Jaylin Wright. Phillips was ordered held without bond.

Wynetta Wright, who was found dead Thursday, was killed by a shot in the head. Her 1-year-old daughter Jaylin Wright died of heat exposure inside a car, autopsies of the two bodies have revealed.

Phillips, the father of Jaylin, has been a vice detective with the Metropolitan Police Department since 2003. He worked as a narcotics officer.

Phillips is apparently married to another woman and already has a 12-year-old daughter.

Police claim they have video evidence that, before Phillips shot and killed Wynetta Wright and left her baby girl to die in a hot car, the couple spent seven hours talking at a picnic table.

It was the night before a paternity and child support hearing and friends say Phillips had asked Wright to come to a park to talk just before 11 p.m. last Monday.

Baby left to die in car in 100-degree heat

Police believe Phillips lured Wright to the woods behind a Hillcrest Heights community center Monday night and killed her. He then left the baby to die strapped in her car seat in 100-degree heat, police believe.

  1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. »

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus