Ralph Polanec, local hotel executive, dies at gym, defibrillator didn't work
A local hotel executive died over the weekend at a Balance Gym in Thomas Circle.
Ralph Polanec, the general manager of the Hamilton Crowne Plaza in Northwest D.C., died of natural causes, specifically due to hypertension and a lack of blood flow in his arteries.
But when gym employees tried to use a defibrillator to resuscitate Polanec, they found that the batteries were dead and had been removed from the unit, WTOP reports.
In a statement, Mark Crick,the owner of the gym, said Polanec was a longtime member of the gym and a personal friend of his.
Crick says that a complete investigation into the incident is being undertaken.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
Now you can get customized weather right down to your street! Plan your day and week ahead with ABC7's Interactive 7-day forecast!
TBD Blogs What you need to read
The Market Report
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Here's a visual look at the eight most delicious, disgusting meals in the country.