Cooling centers open in region
Updated: July 21, 2011 - 06:05 pm
Several cooling centers are opening in the Washington region to help residents escape the sweltering heat.
In Stafford, Va., a shelter will be located at the Rowser building at 1739 Jefferson Davis Highway, and will remain open through July 23.
Service hours are from 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. today, and from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
Individuals are encouraged to bring snacks, bottled water, and any prescribed medications that they may require.
Annapolis is also running cooling centers Thursday through Sunday. Baltimore says it's expanding the number of available cooling stations into this weekend. And the city of Frederick says it will run two public cooling centers Thursday and Friday.
Frederick city officials also have asked Potomac Edison to postpone a maintenance-related power outage that would affect four downtown blocks late Sunday night and early Monday morning.
City officials say they want to ensure that power for cooling will be available to the 115 utility customers in that area.
In Prince George's County, Forest Heights announced an opening of a cooling center at the Forest Heights Town Hall, 5508 Arapahoe Drive will be available to Forest Heights Residents who have infants/small children, the elderly, and those with serious health ailments.
Cooling Centers open for Seniors at the following locations:
• New Carrollton Nutrition Center, 6016 Princess Garden Parkway, Lanham from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
• Camp Springs Senior Activity Center, 6420 Allentown Road, Camp Springs from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
• Cooling Centers open for the General Public at the following locations from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.:
• Fairland Sports and Aquatics Center, 13820 and 13950 Old Gunpowder Road, Laurel, 301-362-6060
• Rollingcrest-Chillum Community Center, 6120 Sargent Road, Chillum, 301-853-2005
• Palmer Park Community Center, 7720 Barlowe Road, Landover, 301-773-5665
• Hillcrest Heights Community Center, 2300 Oxon Run Drive, Hillcrest Heights, 301-505-0896
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.