James Adrian Brewer arrested, charged with murder of Solomon Reese

Decrease Increase Text size


James Adrian Brewer has also been previously identified as James Dean Brewer. Court records show his middle name as Adrian.

James Brewer, the suspect in the murder of a Southeast D.C. man, was recaptured and back in custody Saturday after a day of freedom.

James Adrian Brewer. Photo: U.S. Marshals Service

But it's how Brewer was able to walk out from a DC Superior Court Cellblock, that has many people concerned.

"The guy's in court," says D.C. resident Al Rocker. "He's in custody. How does he - you know - get away?"

Court records show that Brewer, waiting to be formally charged, switched ID bracelets with another prisoner.

Brewer, posing as the other person, was released on a misdemeanor PCP possession charge.

Anwar Karin, who lives in Southeast D.C., is worried.

"It's real concerning that somebody could do that 'cos they could be right back out, to do it again."

Neighbors outside the Marbury Place apartments are especially concerned.

It was there on June 27 that 71-year-old Solomon Reese was found shot to death in the doorway of his 8th floor apartment.

He was well known for selling cigarettes there, and for keeping piles of cash inside.

Brewer was one of four men accused in taking part in a suspected robbery.

Brewer, accompanied by his attorney, surrendered to US Marshals around 1:50 Saturday afternoon, on D Street, NW.

Police say he had already cut off his dreadlocks.

One DC jail inmate, who doesn't want his name used, showed us his bracelet. He's surprised by the escape.

The bracelets are made of tough plastic, fastened with grommets.

"You can try to pull it it off, but it's gonna stretch," he says. "You have to have a clamp to unhook it. Whoever put that on, it had to be on real big, to slide off his wrist like that."

Brewer now faces an additional escape charge.

Authorities aren't commenting on how the switch could have happened.

Manhunt: 'Sticky' turns himself in

The subject of an intense manhunt, James 'Sticky' Brewer turned himself in to U.S. Marshals Saturday.

He met authorities in the 600 block of D Street NW at at 1:50 p.m., accompanied by his attorney.

The Marshals said he had cut off his dreadlocks.

In addition to first-degree murder charges, Brewer now faces escape charges for eluding custody Friday from DC Superior Court Cellblock.

The method of his escape is still under investigation.

  1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. »

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus