D.C.

Capital Area Food Bank to receive $1 million gift

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

WASHINGTON (AP) - The budget for the Capital Area Food Bank is about to get healthier.

William E. Conway Jr., co-founder and managing director of the private equity firm the Carlyle Group, says he plans to donate $1 million on Tuesday to the Washington region's main provider of food for the poor. Conway tells

The Washington Post (http://wapo.st/mXgB3u ) that he decided to make the donation after reading that the food bank would start charging its members 10 cents per pound for fresh fruits and vegetables.

Food bank president Lynn Brantley says the donation will reimburse clients for any charges since the fee took place at the start of the month.

Brantley says the food bank went $1 million over budget last year.

---
Information from: http://www.washingtonpost.com

 

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus