Assessment of Washington Monument continues after earthquake damage
WASHINGTON (AP) - The National Park Service says assessment of the damage at the Washington Monument after last month's earthquake is continuing, but engineers are a long way from saying when the obelisk can reopen to the public.
National Park Service spokesman William Line said Friday that engineers have not completed their work determining the damage and how to repair it.
Line said winterization, which is done to the structure every year, is especially important this year. Cracks in the pyramidion will be filled in temporarily so that snow and water don't get in.
Engineers will speak at a news conference on Monday afternoon on the mall about the ongoing damage assessment.
Cracks were found in the 555-foot tall monument after the Aug. 23 earthquake.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
Get customized weather right down your street with ABC7's Interactive 7-day weather. Plan your day and week ahead with everything you need to know from daily temperatures to dewpoint!
TBD Blogs What you need to read
The Market Report
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Here's a visual look at the eight most delicious, disgusting meals in the country.