Fire forces evacuation, closure of Union Station
WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington's Union Station and the Metro stop it houses have reopened after being temporarily evacuated because of an electrical fire.
District of Columbia fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said crews responded to a report of an electrical panel fire at the Metro station at about 6:30 p.m. Sunday. The fire sent smoke billowing from the ventilation shafts in front of historic Union Station.
Both were evacuated and about 65 firefighters responded. The fire was put out by 7:30 p.m. and the train station was then reopened. There were no injuries.
Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said trains were held up in both directions for about 25 minutes. By 8 p.m., both Metro station entrances were open.
He said Metro electricians are on the scene. Stessel said water from Union Station apparently infiltrated a Metro electrical room, causing the sparks and smoke.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.