VIRGINIA

Prince William Co. residents offered new shelter after flooding

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

(AP, WJLA) - Prince William County says Woodbridge residents forced to leave a mobile home park because of recent flooding are being offered shelter for another week.

The American Red Cross and First Mt. Zion Baptist Church of Dumfries will be operating an emergency shelter for one week beginning Friday.

Residents had been staying at a shelter at the Sharron Baucom Dale City Recreation Center, which is scheduled to close Friday at 5 p.m.

Palomo Cervantes was recently released from the hospital. The 14-year-old got trapped underneath a washing machine when floodwaters raced in. "I couldn't breathe and I was blacking out so I just started to push it out,” he remembers.

His mother and three siblings spent the past week at the Dale City shelter.

The church on Dumfries Road will be available to flood victims after 11 a.m. Friday. A spokesperson for the American Red Cross says 300 were outside when it opened this morning, and 100 were there last night.

The cots were set up after a church member reached out to Pastor Luke Torian. "You still have a place to go it may not be home but we are work hard to make you feel like it's home," Torian said.

The Red Cross will run the shelter and try to place the remaining 100 residents in homes. The cost of housing will be an issue for low-income families.

Juan Magana's relatives paid $700 to rent their trailer. They are offered an apartment that rents for $1,000 and is further away from work. "It's too expensive for just one family,” the 16-year-old said.

Residents were displaced from the Holly Acres mobile home park due to flooding caused by Tropical Storm Lee.

 

To help the displaced residents contact the red cross at 1800-redcross or text to 90999, or click here.

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus