Stephen Goldsmith, former NYC Deputy Mayor, was arrested in Georgetown

Decrease Increase Text size

The wife of former New York City Deputy Mayor Stephen Goldsmith was at the couple’s Georgetown home, but did not speak to the press about her husband’s July 30th arrest on domestic violence charges.

Goldsmith resigned his post in August. (Photo: Associated Press)

Margaret Goldsmith told ABC7’s Rebecca Cooper she does not want to comment following her husband’s resignation. Margaret Goldsmith answered the intercom system at the couple’s multi-million dollar Georgetown home.

“Rebecca, nobody is here to talk to you,” Mrs. Goldsmith said.

“Can you tell us what happened?” Cooper asked.

“Rebecca, I’m not talking to you and I’m not talking to anybody else in the press. I’m a private citizen and I’m not talking to anybody. So, Josh wrote his story, and that’s it. I’m not talking to anybody in the press anymore.”

“You don’t want to explain the police report?” Cooper queried.

“I don’t have to explain anything to you, Rebecca, or anybody else. And I’m not going to,” Goldsmith said firmly before hanging up the intercom system.

The New York Post broke the news Thursday that Stephen Goldsmith spent two days in a D.C. jail, after he was arrested and charged with domestic violence in July.

Five days later, on August 5th, the former two-term Mayor of Indianapolis and Harvard academic resigned his position as Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s deputy.

The mayor’s office said in a statement that Goldsmith was stepping down to pursue private-sector opportunities. Once considered a rising star in the GOP political world, Goldsmith was sharply criticized for his handling of the blizzard last December that left much of New York City shut down.

But Goldsmith refused calls for his resignation at the time, and NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg defended his Deputy Mayor of Operations.

Now the Mayor’s office is being questioned today as to why they didn’t reveal Goldsmith’s arrest at the time of his resignation.

According to the police report, Margaret Goldsmith called police to the couple’s home at 1675 R Street, NW at 11:30pm on July 30th. When police responded, Margaret Goldsmith told officers she and her 64-year-old husband got into “a verbal altercation” that led to her telling him “I should have put a bullet through you years ago.”

Margaret Goldsmith told police her husband then slammed her into the kitchen counter, and when she tried to call police, the report says, he broke the phone and grabbed his wife. She allegedly dug her nails into him and ran into another room, where she called the police.

But after he remained in jail for two days, Margaret Goldsmith declined to press charges.

In a joint statement released today by the couple, Margaret Goldsmith insists “there was no crime committed by Stephen or myself; there was no violence nor any physical harm.”

Goldsmith now says she is trying to correct the report filed by police, insisting her comments were “misconstrued” and “taken out of context.”

  1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. »

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus