2001 Anthrax attacks timeline: Five die after letters mailed

Decrease Increase Text size

Here's a timeline of the 2001 Anthrax letters attack:

The New Jersey post office where authorities believe several of the Anthrax letters were mailed stayed closed for four years. (Photo: Associated Press)

Sept. 17-18, 2001: Five letters are sent to ABC, NBC, CBS, the New York Post and American Media, the publisher of the National Enquirer, from a Trenton, N.J. postmark.

Oct. 2, 2001: Two weeks after sniffing powder in a letter sent to the American Media building in Florida, The Sun photo editor Robert Stevens, who worked at in the building in Boca Raton, is hospitalized.

Oct. 4, 2001: Stevens is diagnosed with inhalational anthrax. He dies the next day. Three days later, tests run on his computer keyboard also test positive for anthrax.

Oct. 9, 2001: Authorities believe this is the date when two more letters were sent to Sens. Tom Daschle and Patrick Leahy.

Oct. 10, 2001: A third American Media employee tests positive for anthrax. The National Enquirer headquarters is shut down.

Oct. 12, 2001: A letter sent to NBC News, which tests positive for anthrax, is turned over to the FBI. It had already been opened.

Oct. 15, 2001: The letter sent to Sen. Daschle is opened. Two days later, 31 Capitol Hill staffers test positive for anthrax. Spores are detected in a Senate  mail room.

Oct. 21/22, 2001: Two postal employees at the Brentwood post office in D.C., Thomas L. Morris, Jr., 55, and Joseph P. Curseen, 47, die of anthrax exposure.

Oct. 25, 2001: A mail service worker at the State Department is hospitalized and tests positive for anthrax.

Oct. 29, 2001:A New York City hospital employee, 61-year-old Kathy Ngyuen, is diagnosed with inhalational anthrax. She dies two days later.

Nov. 7, 2001: President George W. Bush says the anthrax letters represent another terrorist attack on the United States.

Nov. 20, 2001: Ottile Lundgren, 94, of Connecticut is diagnosed with anthrax. She dies the next day.

April 18, 2002: Anthrax spores matching the profile of those sent in the letters are found outside a containment area at Fort Detrick are found, including inside the office of Dr. Bruce Ivins. Ivins had been testing spores at Fort Detrick since the attack occurred.

April 11, 2007: Ivins is placed under periodic surveillance and is declared a suspect in connection with the attacks.

July 2008: Ivins is informed that the FBI is planning to press charges against him for alleged involvement in the anthrax letters.

July 29, 2009:Ivins dies of a drug overdose.

August 8, 2009: The FBI declares that Ivins was the sole person behind the anthrax attacks.

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus