MARYLAND

Beltsville condominum fire displaces dozens of residents

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

Dozens of people, including 11 children, are temporarily displaced after fire officials say a malfunctioning stove sparked a two-alarm fire in a Beltsville condominium complex early Thursday morning.

Rescuers had to rescue several people from their balconies. (Photo: ABC7)

Prince George's County firefighters responded to the Maryland Farm Condominiums in the 11300 block of Cherry Hill Road in Beltsville just after 1 a.m. to find a second-story unity in a three-story building on fire. Four people had to be rescued from the balconies of their condos on upper floors, while others were able to get out safely.

The fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes, but not before the residents of 12 units had to be temporarily displaced. The displaced include 24 adults, 11 kids and a number of pets.

Officials say the fire was accidental.

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus