Fall food and drink events
• October 7 - 9 - Oktoberfest Reston - Oktoberfest Reston will take over Market Street in Reston Town Center from Oct. 7 - 9. Live entertainment, beer, and food will dominate the event. Individual food and beverage tickets may be purchased on site for $1 each or in a group of 24 for $20. The event takes place from Friday from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• October 8 - 9 - Alexandria West End Art and Wine Festival - The Hadeed Carpet Alexandria West End Art and Wine Festival will be held in Cameron Station and Ben Brenman Park. It kicks off with an official ceremony held at the gazebo on Cameron Station Blvd. The mayor of Alexandria will recognize local businesses and others sponsorting the event. A check will be presented to Capital Caring, the Alexandria charity chosen to be a beneficiary of this festival, which is in its first year. Visitors will enjoy the works of 90 juried artists, the food of 15 local restaurants, three stages of live entertainment, and wine garden in the gazebo. The festival runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
• October 8 - 10 - Taste of DC - Taste of DC is a food, wine, beer, and music festival in downtown D.C. on Pennsylvania Avenue. General admission is free, but food, tastings, wine, and beer can be purchased using tickets. A tasting is 1 - 2 tickets, a main course is 3 - 5 tickets. Wine and beer samples are 1 to 3 tickets and it is 4 to 5 tickets for a full glass. The event runs from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday. Ten tickets cost $15.
• October 9 - Oktoberfest at the Kentlands in Gaithersburg, Md. - The event takes place Sunday, Oct. 9 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Kentlands Village Green. Admission and parking are free. The festival includes performances, an outdoor wine tasting, and kids activities (moon bounce, pony rides, etc.).
• October 15 - Taste of Georgetown - Thirty of D.C.'s restaurants will take over the intersection of Wisconson Avenue and M Street NW on Oct. 15. The event benefits Georgetown Ministry Center's services supporting the homeless. There will be a "pumpkin food fight" restaurant competition, Washington CityPaper Wine, Ale & Spirits Pavilion, and jazz from Blues Alley. Tickets are $5 for one tasting and $20 for five tastings. The event runs from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• October 22 - 23 - Northern Virginia Fall Brewfest in Centreville, Va. - The BrewFest is a beer sampling event primarily featuring microbrews. Attendees receive a commemorative tasting glass and the first four samples are included in the entrance price. The glass holds 6.75 ounces and will be filled accordingly, with a five-to-six ounce pour. Beers will cost between 1-2 tickets depending on the brand. Additional tickets can be purchased for $1 each. The BrewFest will be held at the Special Events Center at Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville and run from 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. A designated driver program is available for attendees 16 and older, and they will be provided free water and soda. Tickets are $20 in advance and $30 the day of the event.
• October 22 - 23 - Charles County Oktoberfest - This event at the Charles County Fairgrounds in La Plata, Md., is a celebration of German heritage including German food and beer, arts and crafts, children's activities, dancing, and entertainment. All proceeds from the event benefit the Society for the Friends of Hospice. The festival runs Saturday from 12 - 7 p.m. and Sunday from 12 - 5 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 on site. A designated driver and kids tickets are $5.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.