Tourmobile shutting down on National Mall
(AP, WJLA) — After 42 years, the iconic, blue and white Tourmobile buses are taking leave of the National Mall.
The tour service that has been taking tourists on sightseeing bus trips to the main attractions in the District is ending operations.
Tourmobile says on its website that it will shut down its tours on Monday after more than four decades of operation. It says it's unable to provide any additional details on future tours.
In September, it was reported that the end was near for Tourmobile in the midst of controversy over contracts concerning exclusivity on the National Mall. Meanwhile, since the advent of the service, lower-cost alternatives like D.C. Circulator and Capital Bikeshare have sprouted up across the city.
Bill Line, a spokesman for the National Park Service, tells The Washington Post that the company had been in "tough straits" financially. The Park Service had previously said that it would likely not renew its contract with Tourmobile.
The Post says Tourmobile has served about 700,000 to 800,000 people annually in recent years, at $32 per person.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.