Child starts house fire in Centreville
A child started a fire in a three-story townhouse in Centreville Saturday, officials said.
About 1:40 p.m., Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Dept. units responded to a fire in a townhouse at 14118 Red River Drive.
Firefighters encountered heavy fire and smoke coming from the front and rear going upwards toward the roof and laterally to other townhomes, according to a news release.
The fire was extinguished in 30 minutes with minimal damage to adjacent townhomes. However, the townhouse was a total loss.
Four of the six occupants were home during the fire but there were no injuries, the release said. Two adults, four children and a dog were displaced.
According to investigators, the fire was started by a child lighting matches in the basement.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.