Gas leak at Aspen Hill building injures three
Three people are said to be in critical condition after a carbon monoxide leak at an Aspen Hill apartment building.
The leak was detected at the Garden Style Apartments at 14200 Wolf Creek Place in Aspen Hill.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said three patients had become ill from the gas. They are said to be critical condition and are being transported to a hospital.
The three patients live in a bottom unit where the leak originated. The carbon monoxide level reached over 700 parts per million at one point, dangerously high.
Firefighters evacuated the building, rushing families out of their homes.
"We don't have a lot of information," resident Yari Pilorio said. Pilorio, who has three children, was "not sure when we will be able to return to our apartment... We're just going to wait here and see what happens.”
It's believed the problem started with a faulty furnace, a reminder to residents to be cautious as nights turn cold and heaters are kicked on for the first time, said Montgomery County Assistant Fire Chief Mike McAdams.
Laura Chaco rushed to the store to buy a CO detector Friday.
"It's scary, a looked around my unit and realized I didn't have (one)... Ironically this happens,” she said.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
ABC7 News has your backstage ticket to the Dancing With The Stars Finale! Join ABC7's Cynne Simpson from Hollywood for all the excitement Monday and Tuesday on ABC7 News At 5 and 11. Click here for all the latest news leading up to the crowning of the Dancing With The Stars champ!
TBD Blogs What you need to read
The Market Report
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Films set here tend to center around certain professions — politics, law, journalism and secret intelligence.