ENTERTAINMENT

People's Sexiest Man Alive: Bradley Cooper the cover boy

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

Daybreak Daily’s afternoon smirk at the pop-culture world finds a groovy marketing gimmick for a popular magazine, other stuff, and the mystery music video.

DUDE WENT TO GEORGETOWN: Per People, “Sure, he's easy on the eyes, but there's more to 2011's Sexiest Man Alive Bradley Cooper than dazzling baby blues and a killer smile.

Ladies, take note: this Georgetown grad can whip up dinner, take you for a spin on his motorcycle and whisper sweet nothings in French (he's fluent!). Just don't try convincing him what a catch he is.

"I think it's really cool that a guy who doesn't look like a model can have this [title]," says the Hangover actor, 36. "I think I'm a decent-looking guy. Sometimes I can look great, and other times I look horrifying."

Another reason to love him? Cooper, whose father Charles passed away in January, is especially close with his mom, Gloria. When he learned he'd been crowned Sexiest Man Alive, the "first thing I thought," he says, "was, 'My mother is going to be so happy.' "

So what's the truth about his dating status?

Cooper, who was with Renée Zellweger for two years until their split in March and has been spotted out with Jennifer Lopez in recent months, says he's a "single 36-year-old male." http://bit.ly/t3HXnA

REMEMBER THE CHRISTMAS POO?: Per the AP, “The bad boys of "South Park" will make mischief for years to come.

Comedy Central says "South Park" co-creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have signed to extend the animated series an additional three seasons, through its 20th season in 2016.

The network announced Wednesday that Parker and Stone will continue to write, direct and edit every episode of "South Park," just as they have since the premiere of the series in 1997.” http://apne.ws/vOl7Jd

NOT JOKING: Per the Los Angeles Times, “So far late-night comedians have tread lightly on the sex-abuse scandal at Penn State, but Jerry Sandusky's interview earlier this week with NBC's Bob Costas proved too much for Jon Stewart to bear.

On Tuesday's "Daily Show," he unleashed scorn on the former Penn State coach and accused pedophile. He began by criticizing Sandusky's decision to conduct the interview over the telephone: "It seems to me when you're accused of one of the most heinous crimes imaginable, you may not want to literally phone in your defense on national television."

Asked if he was sexually attracted to young boys, Sandusky repeated the question back to Costas. Not a good move, according to Stewart. "Everyone knows the only time when you answer with a question is when you're guilty," he said. "You can't even bring yourself to lie emphatically. It's like in that phone conversation you're fighting the urge to come clean." http://lat.ms/rILed5

EVERYBODY LOOK WHAT’S GOIN’ DOWN: Per Rolling Stone, “Police cleared out Occupy Wall Street's Zuccotti Park encampment and in the process arrested hundreds of protestors. A judge has upheld Mayor Michael Bloomberg's decision that protestors can no longer camp out at the site, casting the future of the protest in the park in question. Though many were shocked by this turn of events, it came as no surprise to Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello, who has been active in the Occupy movement around the world.

"We all knew that eventually the empire would strike back," he tells Rolling Stone. "But, frankly this is just what we needed. They have stirred the hornet's nest big time. After this action last night, I think [the movement] is going to go through the roof. I think it’s going to energize on a global scale."
Folk legend David Crosby, who recently performed in Zuccotti Park with Graham Nash, also expected this to happen. "There wasn't any way they were not going to throw those people out of the park," he tells Rolling Stone. "[Occupy Wall Street is] just way more of a threat than they realize. The effect that a few people have camping out in a park is completely disproportionate to the fact of their being there . . . The park is just a spark. That's only the beginning." http://bit.ly/vG4XQP

POST-TWILIGHT: Per Vulture, “There's been a lot of speculation about how Kristen Stewart might follow up her Twilight career, and it looks like we're arriving at the answer: by lining up some more big-budget franchises. She'll be seen next summer in wannabe trilogy-starter Snow White and the Huntsman, and now (according to both Twitch and Deadline) she's in advanced talks to play the female lead in the live-action remake of Akira, which producers are hoping to split into two movies.

(We would settle for making one good movie first and then figuring out what you'd need to do to sequelize it, but hey!) If she signs on, the movie would reunite her with Garrett Hedlund, with whom she filmed On the Road last year; meanwhile, Gary Oldman has committed to the movie and will play the Colonel.” http://bit.ly/rEEayu

BABY BIEBER: Per TMZ, “Justin Bieber's baby mama has dismissed her paternity lawsuit against the singer ... TMZ has learned. The suit was quietly dismissed late last week. What's more, Mariah Yeater's lawyers, Lance Rogers and Matt Pare, have quit her ... withdrawn from the case.

As we first reported, Justin not only planned to take a DNA test when he returned to the U.S., he was going to sue Yeater and her lawyers for making a bogus claim. And, as we reported, Justin's lawyer, Howard Weitzman, called the attorneys and informed them a suit was looming.

Apparently, they got the message.” http://bit.ly/vLaYXK

MEANWHILE: Per Radar, “The 20-year-old California woman who claims Justin Bieber is the father of her baby is moving forward with her action against the pop star, RadarOnline.com has learned. \

Reports that Yeater dropped her lawsuit against Bieber and her two attorneys left the case caused a stir on Wednesday morning, but RadarOnline.com has learned Yeater’s paternity attorney is still on board and is involved in private negotiations with Bieber’s legal team. http://bit.ly/sKFaUF

AND WE WISH TO WELCOME YOU TO. . : Per the Huffington Post, “Karl Slover, one of the last surviving actors who played Munchkins in the 1939 classic film, "The Wizard of Oz," has died. He was 93.

The 4-foot-5 Slover died of cardiopulmonary arrest Tuesday afternoon in a central Georgia hospital, said Laurens County Deputy Coroner Nathan Stanley. According to friends, as recently as last weekend, Slover appeared at events in the suburban Chicago area.

Slover was best known for playing the lead trumpeter in the Munchkins' band but also had roles as a townsman and soldier in the film, said John Fricke, author of "100 Years of Oz" and five other books on the movie and its star, Judy Garland. Slover was one of the tiniest male Munchkins in the movie.” http://huff.to/se4Aqv

NO, SHE’S TAKING OFF THE TOWEL: Per Us Weekly, “She may have struck out with Alex Rodriguez, but Cameron Diaz isn't throwing in the towel on men.

The actress, 39, has reunited with Sean "Diddy" Combs, her off-and-on hookup since 2008, when Combs pursued her during Oscars week, a source tells Us Weekly.

"Since then, when she's single, she'll booty call him," adds another insider.” http://bit.ly/rE1Wjv

ROLL IT: Per INDIEwire, “The obituaries have already been written for the book, the movie camera, and, yes, film. Business research firm IHS just released a study projecting that, as of next year, there will be more digital-projection screens than 35mm projection screens in the US.
We've known it was coming for some time now, but it still hurts the purists among us.

Julia Marchese, writing for the New Beverly Cinemas in Los Angeles, has started a petition online to request that the studios not go through with their plans to stop sending archival 35mm prints out to repertory cinemas.” http://bit.ly/umdBS2

AND FINALLY: Today’s mystery music video. http://bit.ly/v5owtM

--Skip Wood

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus