Veterans Day events
• Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va., 22211 - Events begin with a prelude concert by the U.S. Army Band "Pershing's Own" at 10 a.m. inside the amphitheater. The national Veterans Day service begins at 11 a.m. with a wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns. The events continues inside the Memorial Amphitheater with a parade by veterans' organizations and remarks from dignitaries. Members of the public who wish to attend are strongly encouraged to arrive early. Cemetery gates open at 8 a.m. For more information, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs.
• Vietnam Veterans Memorial - Constitution Avenue and Henry Bacon Dr. NW, Washington, D.C. - The site lies at the western end of the National Mall, adjacent to the Lincoln Memorial in West Potomac Park. Colorguard, speakers, and a wreath-laying ceremony take place at 1 p.m.
• Vietnam Women's Memorial - Constitution Avenue and Henry Bacon Dr. NW, Washington, D.C. - Vietnam veterans and children of veterans tell stories about their experiences at 9 p.m. and 2 p.m.
• World War II Memorial - The site lies along the central vista of the National Mall, between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. It sits at the eastern end of the reflecting pool along 17th Street, NW/SW. The Veterans Day wreath-laying ceremony pays special tribute to African-American Veterans of World War II. WJLA's own Cynné Simpson will be mistress of ceremonies for the event, which begins at 9 a.m.
• Air Force Memorial - One Air Force Memorial Drive, Arlington, Va. - AFA/AFMF Veterans Day wreath-laying ceremony begins at 11 a.m.
• Mt. Vernon Salutes Veterans - 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Alexandria, Va. - All active duty, former, or retired military personnel admitted free-of-charge. Special activities include free patriotic community concerts by the all-veteran barbershop chorus The Harmony Heritage Singers at 11 a.m. and the U.S. Air Force Strings at 3 p.m. Honored guests are also invited to place a flower at Washington's tomb, where the Sons of the American Revolution and the Daughters of the American Revolution will conduct a special wreath-laying ceremony.
• Madame Tussauds - 1025 F Street NW, Washington, D.C. - Free admission for members of the military and discounted admission for their families.
• Dodona Manor - 217 Edwards Ferry Rd., Leesburg, Va. - The Marshall Center, the town of Leesburg, and Loudoun County will commemorate Veterans Day on the grounds of Dodona Manor. Former Secretary of the Army John Marsh will speak at this year's commemoration. The Manor will be open for free tours through 1p.m., following the event, which begins at 10:15 a.m.
• Manassas Veterans Day Parade - Quarry Road and Prescott Avenue, Manassas, Va. - Saturday, November 12 at 11 a.m., rain or shine. This year's parade will focus on Vietnam War veterans.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
"Like" ABC7 on facebook and you can win an iPad 2 from ABC7! Enter daily before 4pm Friday, November 18th! Plus, you can receive 2 additional entries for each friend who enters!
TBD Blogs What you need to read
The Market Report
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
No one knows quite what Klout is, but these big 'myopic little twits' appear to have it.