Anthony Venson arrested in accused neglect of daughter
The father of a 2-year-old girl who was found alone inside a Capitol Heights apartment on Tuesday night has been arrested, police say.
Prince George's County Police say that 24-year-old Anthony Venson is facing child neglect charges after they say he left his toddler daughter alone for more than 24 hours.
Venson on Thursday tried to convince a judge to lower his bond by claiming in court that his wife is too sick to properly parent their 2-year-old.
But the judge has increased Venson's bond from $25,000 to $100,000.
“I think the defendants record probably contributed to raising the bond as well as he had one failure to appear,” says Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks.
She says Venson has an armed robbery conviction and that two protective orders were filed against Venson by his wife.
Venson has been charged with reckless endangerment, leaving a child unattended and neglect of a minor.
According to the charging documents, the child was “looking very skinny and lips being heavily crusted due to not having water."
Police say there was no sign of food or water anywhere in the home. Neighbor and foster mother of 2, Stacy Roberts doesn't understand how this could happen.
Authorities say they got a call from the girl's mother, who has been in the hospital for several days suffering from Crohn's disease, on Tuesday at about 12:30 p.m. They say the mother was concerned for the well-being of her daughter.
Police then went to the Capitol Courts apartment complex in the 6900 block of Walker Mill Road in Capitol Heights where they lived.
Once a property manager let authorities in the apartment, they found what they call a disturbing scene - a toddler who was visibly hungry, malnourished and dehydrated.
"A bedroom that was in disarray," Cpl. Henry Tippett said. "The child was only wearing a sweater and a diaper."
Prince George's County Police spokeswoman Julie Parker says that officers found the child in the apartment surrounded by trash, cockroaches and a space heater that was left on.
Tippett said that the diaper appeared to be heavily soiled and had not been changed in quite some time.
"The child should be placed somewhere else,” says neighbor Stacy Roberts.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.