Enfamil Newborn pulled from shelves
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Several more national retailers have joined Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in pulling a batch of powdered infant formula from their shelves after a Missouri newborn who consumed it apparently died of a rare bacterial infection.
Officials at Supervalu Inc., Walgreen Co., Kroger Co. and Safeway said Friday they have removed cans of Enfamil Newborn with the lot number ZP1K7G from various stores across the country.
They say it's a precaution until health officials complete tests on the formula.
Ten-day-old Avery Cornett died Sunday after getting sick several days earlier.
Preliminary hospital tests indicated he died of a rare infection caused by bacteria known as Cronobacter sakazakii.
The source of the bacteria that caused the infection hasn't been determined, but it can be found in dried milk and powdered formula.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to readSee full TBD blog directory »
Best of TBD In case you missed it
What are the most bizarre regulations on the District's books?