GWU on alert after student dies from meningococcal meningitis
A George Washington University graduate student has died from meningococcal meningitis, the university announced.
Students and faculty received emails from the university yesterday telling them a student had meningitis. Today they learned the worst.
GWU has contacted 35 students and faculty who may have been exposed, telling them to get checked.
Meningitis can be spread by contact from kissing, coughing, sneezing, and sharing a drinking glass.
The university won't talk about the student, but provided a specialist to talk about the disease.
"That disease is every parent's nightmare, where the child dies very very rapidly," says Dr. Gary Simon. "Every kid is vaccinated, but we are unable to produce a vaccine that will cover all the strains and so we do everything we can. But it's a very frightening disease."
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
The Market Report
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
What are the most bizarre regulations on the District's books?