Kate Middleton 'Duchess Effect' makes impact on fashion world
Daybreak Daily’s final 2011 intrusion upon the pop-culture world finds Prince William’s wife moving merchandise, peruses a bunch of year-ending best-of lists, and presents an apropos mystery music video.
DRESS LIKE KATE: That’s on what retailers are banking, per ABC News, “In the past year, Kate Middleton has become a wife, a Duchess and, now, a certified fashion icon with real market power. Reiss, a clothing line favored by Middleton for her public appearances, saw its profits skyrocket this year, enough that the power of Middleton’s fashion choices has been dubbed “The Duchess Effect.” “She really is the every girl, and I think that’s what’s so inviting about her,” Joe Zee, creative director of Elle magazine, said of Middleton’s appeal.” http://abcn.ws/uDZyoj
DICK CLARK’S NEW YEAR’S ROCKIN’ EVE: Before him, you had to settle for Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians, per Access Hollywood, “Forty years ago, Dick Clark’s New Year’s Eve special was created to give young people an alternative. Now Clark’s annual show is the institution.
“New Year’s Rockin’ Eve,” with Clark and Ryan Seacrest, pays tribute to its own history during a sprawling, nearly six-hour program Saturday night. The celebration takes up all of prime time on ABC, breaks for a half-hour of local news, then comes back on the air for two and a quarter hours that includes the ball dropping in New York City’s Times Square to mark the beginning of 2012.” http://bit.ly/tpOYGN
BEST-OF LISTS FOR 2011:
* HIP HOP VERSES: Per MTV, “This year there was no shortage of quality rhymes and while purists often complain of rappers’ diminishing skills, in 2011 many MCs put the focus back on lyrics. It was a tough choice, but RapFix reexamined the best verses of 2011 and picked our favorite five.” http://on.mtv.com/tjS3gG
* FASHIONABLE LADIES: Per Vogue, “we dissect the most compelling trends from the runways and feature the real women who wore them best.” http://bit.ly/uw8RHj
* FASHIONABLE DUDES: Per CeleBUZZ, “Resident fashionista Kimora Lee Simmons shared with Celebuzz her picks for the most style-savvy males of 2011.” http://bit.ly/s37YnG
* SNL SKETCHES: Per Entertainment Weekly, “Looking back at what the show got right (Ambiguously Gay Duo!) and wrong (Helen Mirren's Magical Breasts, anyone?) this year.” http://bit.ly/vvmInD
* DIETS: Per Extra, “From Mariah Carey to Kirstie Alley, here are five celebrities who slimmed down this year, sharing their diet secrets.” http://bit.ly/sKddxt
* TV KISSES: Per the Huffington Post, “This year had no shortage of long-awaited kisses: from Blaine and Kurt finally making it official -- and making Gleeks go "aww" -- on "Glee" to a water-soaked engagement lip lock for Michael Scott on "The Office" to Sookie and Eric's porch session on "True Blood" that needed to be hosed down.” http://huff.to/s4hKql
* TV MELTDOWNS: Per the Los Angeles Times, “Life can be stressful for Hollywood entertainers and personalities. The strain obviously took its toll on several who lost their composure, control and dignity, making for some of the most unexpected and memorable celebrity meltdowns of 2011.” http://lat.ms/vp6pmW
* INDIE FILMS: per indieWIRE, “Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" was the overwhelming winner at the specialty box office this year, topping this chart of 2011's top grossers with $56.3 million.” http://bit.ly/uEQnbj
* WEIRD FASHION TRENDS: Per the Daily Mail, “We've been sticking crazy coloured lip transfers on our lips, intricate paper art on our eyelashes, and snakeskin on our fingernails... Read on for the weird and wonderful trends 2011 had to offer.” http://bit.ly/rJcSIA
* OVEREXPOSED BIKINI BABES: Per Radar, “From their nearly naked beach romps to headline dominating antics, these sexy celebs were everywhere we looked in 2011.” http://bit.ly/vn8Dw4
AND FINALLY: Today’s mystery music video (go with the full-screen click). http://bit.ly/vE5fgr
--Skip Wood (Follow me on Twitter @DaybreakSkip)
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.