D.C.

Oscar Ortega-Hernandez, accused White House Shooter, back in court Friday

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge has denied a government request for an additional mental health evaluation for a man accused of firing shots at the White House.

Oscar Ortega-Hernandez has been found competent to stand trial. (Photo: U.S. Park Police)

U.S. Magistrate John Facciola said Friday that prosecutors could request such an evaluation in the future, if it becomes necessary. But the judge said that currently, there's no evidence to suggest Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez is incompetent to stand trial.

Ortega is accused of using an assault rifle last month to fire on the White House in an alleged attempt to assassinate President Barack Obama. The president was out of town.

A preliminary psychiatric screening found Ortega competent to stand trial, but federal prosecutors asked for more extensive tests to make certain they could proceed with the case.

PHOTOS: Shooting at the White House

Acquaintances have said Ortega was acting strangely in recent months, and law enforcement officials have said he had become obsessed with Obama.

Just before 11 p.m. on Veterans Day, a man, believed to be Ortega-Hernandez, fired several rounds at the White House. At least two rounds of ammunition were found on the grounds, including one which struck a window, but was stopped by ballistic glass.

Five days later, Ortega-Hernandez was located and arrested at a motel in Indiana, Pa.

President Obama was attending a college basketball game in San Diego, Calif. at the time of the shooting. Prosecutors say Ortega-Hernandez traveled 2,200 miles from Idaho to carry out the shooting.

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus