Fire breaks out in NE D.C. row house
A house fire in NE D.C. on Sunday left two adults and five cats homeless.
The fire, at a 2-story row house in the 600 block of M Street, broke out at about 10 a.m.
Michelle Quick and her longtime boyfriend, Ernest Graham, who resided at the row house, were in disbelief on Monday.
"I just came home and I started crying,” she says.
Quick, an x-ray tech, was working at the VA Medical Center and Graham, for the first time in months, decided to visit his sister.
"Decided to leave last night for the for the first time,” he says. “Thank God I did."
But as thankful as they are for their lives, they are heartbroken. The couple spent $10,000 getting the whole house ready because they're taking custody of the niece who is waiting in foster care.
Destroyed in the fire were a crib, mattress and stuffed animals for the 2-year-old niece.
What would've been the little girls' new room is a burned out shell.
Their mission now is to rebuild.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
These are TBD's best photos of the year.