Gas leak in science experiment forces evacuation of Stafford school
North Stafford High School was evacuated Friday morning and nine students were taken to local hospitals after a gas leaked during a science experiment, a county fire spokesperson says.
When Stafford County Fire and Rescue units arrived at the school about 10:45 a.m., the evacuation was underway and several students were reporting illness.
In the science wing, crews detected a propane-like odor. The investigation determined that propane burners were being used in an experiment.
The school was ventilated and crews used atmospheric monitors to ensure the school was safe before allowing students to go back to classes.
Fire and rescue personnel stayed at the school for the rest of the day.
Fourteen students were evaluated and nine of those were taken to hospitals with non-life-threatening conditions.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Hey, no city's perfect!