HEALTH

Komen for the Cure confronts backlash over cutting Planned Parenthood

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

NEW YORK (AP) - Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the renowned breast-cancer charity, is facing an escalating backlash over its decision to halt breast-screening grants to Planned Parenthood.

Some of Komen's local affiliates are openly troubled, and at least one top official has quit, reportedly in protest.

Komen has been deluged with negative emails and Facebook postings since news broke Tuesday that it was halting most of the grants - they totaled $680,000 last year - that Planned Parenthood affiliates used for breast exams.

In their first news conference since the cutoff was reported, Komen's leaders denied Planned Parenthood's assertion that the decision was driven by politics and pressure from anti-abortion groups.

"We don't base our decisions on whether one side or the other will be pleased," said Komen CEO Nancy Brinker.

Reactions heated on Planned Parenthood-Komen rift

NEW YORK (AP) - Planned Parenthood said Wednesday that it received more than $400,000 from 6,000 donors in the 24 hours after news broke that its affiliates would be losing grants for breast screenings from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast-cancer foundation.

Komen, meanwhile, incurred heated criticism from some members of Congress, numerous liberal advocacy groups and some newspaper editorial writers. But it was applauded by many conservative religious and anti-abortion groups that abhor Planned Parenthood for its role as the leading U.S. abortion provider.

Planned Parenthood says the funding cutoff was a result of Komen succumbing to pressure from anti-abortion activists. Komen, in a statement issued Wednesday evening, denied that politics played a role and reiterated that its decision was based on newly adopted criteria for issuing grants.

The criteria bar grants to any organization that's under local, state or federal investigation. Planned Parenthood is being investigated for alleged financial improprieties by a Republican congressman acting with the encouragement of anti-abortion groups.

"We regret that these new policies have impacted some long-standing grantees, such as Planned Parenthood, but want to be absolutely clear that our grant-making decisions are not about politics," the Komen statement said.

It pledged to ensure that women who need breast-health services can still have access to them.

Dr. Eric Winer, a breast cancer specialist at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston who is chairman of Komen's scientific advisory council, said he was confident that breast-screening availability would not be jeopardized.

"The last thing in the world that anyone at Komen wants to do ... is to decrease the resources that are available to those women," he said.

Nonetheless, some members of Komen's nationwide network were unsettled.

The Komen affiliate in Connecticut posted a notice on its website saying it has enjoyed a "great partnership" with Planned Parenthood of Southern New England and noting that the funding decision was made at Komen's national headquarters.

"We understand, and share, in the frustration around this situation," the notice said. "We hope that any investigation prohibiting Planned Parenthood from receiving Komen grants is promptly resolved."

Planned Parenthood said the Komen grants totaled roughly $680,000 last year and $580,000 the year before, going to 19 of its affiliates for breast-cancer screening and other breast-health services. According to Planned Parenthood, its health centers performed more than 4 million breast exams over the past five years, including nearly 170,000 as a result of Komen grants.

Andrea Hagelgans, a Planned Parenthood spokeswoman, said the organization was grateful for the outpouring of support since Tuesday evening, when The Associated Press first reported Komen's decision.

  1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. »

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus