Mariah Kendra Hood dies days after District Heights fire
Several days after a fire engulfed her District Heights home, a 2-year-old girl has died from injuries sustained in the Feb. 17 fire.
Prince George's County Fire officials say that Mariah Kendra Hood passed away on Sunday afternoon, two days after she was pulled out of a burning home in the 6100 block of Hil-Mar Drive in District Heights.
The fire broke out just after 1:45 a.m. while Mariah, a 9-year-old boy and three adults were inside the home. Everyone was able to escape the flames except for the 2-year-old, who had to be rescued by firefighters from a second-story bedroom.
First responders gave Mariah CPR at the scene and transported her to an area hospital in critical condition with smoke inhalation injuries. She died two days later at Childrens Hospital.
Officials say the fire has been attributed to unattended cooking and has been declared accidental. A smoke alarm alerted the occupants of the house to the flames.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Hey, no city's perfect!