Mariah Kendra Hood candlelight vigil set for Sunday night
Nearly two weeks after a 2-year-old girl died after being rescued from a District Heights house fire, the community will hold a candlelight vigil Sunday night near the home to remember the young girl.
On Feb. 17, Mariah Kendra Hood was rescued by Prince George's County firefighters from her burning home in the 6100 block of Hil-Mar Drive in District Heights. Three adults and a 9-year-old boy were able to escape the flames, but first responders were forced to enter the home and rescue the girl.
About two days later, Mariah died at Childrens Hospital. First responders gave her CPR at the scene immediately after the fire and was later taken to an area hospital with smoke inhalation injuries.
Officials declared the fire accidental and attributed it to unattended cooking. An active smoke alarm alerted the residents of the home to the fire.
The vigil, which is set to start at 6 p.m., will be held on Hil-Mar Drive and be led by Rev. John E. Richardson. A contingent of county public safety officials, including Prince George's Fire Chief Marc Bashoor, will attend
More information can be obtained from Rev. Richarson at (202) 670-6569.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
You could treat your loved one ... or just send them a link to this gallery.