Carbon monoxide detectors donated for Prince George's County residents
Two weeks after a deadly carbon monoxide poisoning in Prince George's County, awareness of the dangers of the gas appear to be increasing.
Five people died April 23 in a home in Oxon Hill.
In light of that neighborhood tragedy, the county's fire department has been given 400 carbon monoxide detectors. And they're ready to be handed out.
Benjamin Robinson lives right across the street from where the five family members died last month.
The deaths hit him hard.
Robinson says he gets his boiler checked every year.
He has smoke detectors installed in his home, but no carbon monoxide detectors.
After news of the deaths spread, 400 detectors were donated to the Prince George's County Fire Department this week.
It's something people know they need, but, not everyone can afford it.
"Our hearts and sympathies go out to the family of the deceased, but we're gonna try to make their loss something positive for other people in our community," says Mark Brady of the fire department.
The house in Oxon Hill where the family died is still visibly marked with a bright, orange sticker, warning that the house is unsafe.
Neighbors see it everyday and are reminded of the dangers.
If you live in the county, you can get one of the carbon monoxide detectors for fre
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Billed as the biggest food truck assembly to ever happen in D.C., "Curbside Cookoff: Trucko De Mayo" took place on Saturday with at least 40 vendors.