Metro Red Line door-opening incident: Had it already happened?
It was a nightmare scenario on Metro's Red Line on Tuesday morning - the doors of a car on a train, while traveling toward the Tenleytown station from Van Ness, flew open.
The car was crowded near the end of the morning rush, but thankfully, no one was hurt. However, WMATA might be lucky, according to a report from the Unsuck DC Metro blog.
According to the site, an anonymous source says that the doors on one car of the train involved in the incident had already opened just before the one that was caught on camera by a rider. The first opening also happened while the train was in transit; this one was going between Fort Totten and Gallery Place.
However, the site reports that Metro only took that one car out of service instead of taking the entire train off the line, as is the normal procedure with most door problems.
"It does put people's lives at risk," Metro rider Ray Allen said. "They need to resolve these issues."
Metro officials refused to comment on the new allegations on Thursday, saying only that they are aware of the report and it's "all part of the investigation."
That's of little comfort to some rail riders, who have had to endure brake malfunctions and now this latest door snafu, all while staring down fare hikes later this year.
"Are they more worried about just getting the money from people to have to keep the trains running?" Metro rider Lauren Barber said. "Or are they really concerned about safety?"
The cars involved in the door-opening incidents are part of the fleet's 1000 series, the oldest in the system and the ones involved in the 2009 Red Line crash. They make up one-quarter of all rail cars currently in use.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.