Newt Gingrich set to suspend campaign
NEW YORK (AP) - Newt Gingrich is thanking supporters a day before he officially suspends his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.
Gingrich released a video message on his website Tuesday saying he would bring the campaign to a close on Wednesday. The former House speaker said he would continue working to defeat President Barack Obama, whose re-election he says would be a "genuine disaster" for the country.
Gingrich doesn't mention Mitt Romney, the all-but-certain GOP presidential nominee.
After finishing poorly in five Northeastern primaries last week, Gingrich indicated that he would leave the race. He won only two contests, in South Carolina and Georgia, which he represented in Congress for 20 years. His campaign also has reported more than $4 million in debt.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to readSee full TBD blog directory »
Best of TBD In case you missed it
You could treat your loved one ... or just send them a link to this gallery.