Waldorf man burned using homemade barbecue
A Maryland man sustained burns to about half of his body while trying to light a homemade barbecue pit at a Waldorf home on Sunday morning, authorities say.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal's office says that the incident happened at a home on Maguire Place in Waldorf at about 6:15 a.m. Officials say the victim, 45-year-old Bruce Sharp, was trying to ignite a 270-gallon barrel that had been converted into a makeshift grill.
At some point, officials say vapors from the lighter fluid he was using flashed, causing 1st and 2nd-degree burns to about 50 percent of Sharp's body.
Officials say Sharp drove himself to an area medical center for treatment, but was transferred to the burn unit at Washington Hospital Center for further evaluation. His injuries are not considered to be life threatening.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Billed as the biggest food truck assembly to ever happen in D.C., "Curbside Cookoff: Trucko De Mayo" took place on Saturday with at least 40 vendors.