Greenbelt apartment fire caused by unattended cooking
Updated: June 28, 2012 - 11:15 am
Two children and their 15-year-old babysitter are being hospitalized after a kitchen fire at an apartment complex in Greenbelt, officials say.
Prince George’s County fire officials say unattended cooking ignited nearby combustibles, sparking the fire that broke out in a top-floor unit in the 7800 block of Hanover Parkway Thursday morning. The 15-year-old babysitter and his two younger female siblings got out safely.
Responding firefighters evacuated the building, and quickly extinguished the fire that was limited to the kitchen area, officials say.
The two kids and their sitter are being treated for smoke inhalation, but are in good condition, officials say. No other injuries were reported.
The estimated loss stands at $40,000, fire officials say. The apartment of origin has been deemed unfit, and the apartment complex management will assist the displaced family.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Billed as the biggest food truck assembly to ever happen in D.C., "Curbside Cookoff: Trucko De Mayo" took place on Saturday with at least 40 vendors.