Hyattsville boarding house fire displaces seven people
Seven people who fire officials say lived in a boarding house in Hyattsville have been displaced after a fire broke out Wednesday morning, and now authorities say charges may be coming soon against one man who lived in the 1 1/2-story house.
Prince George's Fire officials say the fire broke out in a home in the 4000 block of Madison Street at about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. It took firefighters about 15 minutes to knock down the fire, which caused about $50,000 in damage.
Arson investigators continue to comb through the burned-out home, and at least two residents of the house say that one man, identified as Daniel Mitchell, may be to blame for it.
In the midst of being questioned, Mitchell admitted that the fire started on his bed, but says he doesn't know how it got started.
"It wasn't that big at first...it was a little bit of smoke," he said. "It was an accident. It wasn't on purpose."
Regardless of how the fire started, which is still under investigation, it doesn't change that the people who live in the house now need a place to stay for the indeterminable future.
Donna Campbell, a resident of the house, says the situation is made worse by the fact that the only photos of a child she lost were destroyed in the fire.
"I'm homeless, I'm scared (and) I have nowhere to go," Campbell said.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Start a discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Billed as the biggest food truck assembly to ever happen in D.C., "Curbside Cookoff: Trucko De Mayo" took place on Saturday with at least 40 vendors.