What to do if your power goes out
Updated: December 7, 2013 - 04:38 pm
With the threat of severe weather looming, there's always the chance of being stuck without power for an undetermined period of time. It's an unpleasant side effect, but one you can get through with the right contacts and preparation.
Here are a few tips on how to manage a power outage due to weather:
- Keep bottled water and flashlights on hand.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged.
- Try not to use candles if you don't have to. They can pose a fire hazard.
- Avoid downed power lines near your house or apartment building.
- Unplug as many home appliances as you can.
- Try to get your hands on an all-in-one flashlight and radio.
- If you've got a battery-powered radio, tune in to local weather or news updates for the latest information.
If your power goes out, you can report outages to your local power company by calling these numbers:
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.