Woman burned while lighting outdoor fireplace
An Alexandria woman was badly burned Saturday night while trying to light an outdoor fireplace.
Fire crews were called to the 300 block of North Fayette Street just after 9 p.m. for reports of an explosion and flames on a patio.
According to fire officials, the 53-year-old woman was attempting to start a fire in a "recreational outdoor fireplace" when an accumulation of vapors caused a flash fire.
The woman suffered second and third degree burns to over 80 percent of her body. She was taken to MedStar Burn Center in Washington D.C., where her current condition is unknown.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Start a discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Billed as the biggest food truck assembly to ever happen in D.C., "Curbside Cookoff: Trucko De Mayo" took place on Saturday with at least 40 vendors.