VIRGINIA

Woman burned while lighting outdoor fireplace

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

An Alexandria woman was badly burned Saturday night while trying to light an outdoor fireplace.

Fire crews were called to the 300 block of North Fayette Street just after 9 p.m. for reports of an explosion and flames on a patio.

According to fire officials, the 53-year-old woman was attempting to start a fire in a "recreational outdoor fireplace" when an accumulation of vapors caused a flash fire.

The woman suffered second and third degree burns to over 80 percent of her body. She was taken to MedStar Burn Center in Washington D.C., where her current condition is unknown.

 

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus