Anne Arundel Medical Center fire quickly extinguished
Fifteen moms and their babies were evacuated from Anne Arundel Medical Center Monday evening after a utility closet caught fire.
Fire crews received a call about the odor of smoke on the third floor of the Anne Arundel Medical Center's Clatanoff Pavilion on the Mother/Baby Unit at 6 p.m. Firefighters discovered the source of the fire in an utility closet.
The Anne Arundel Fire Department says an appliance in the closet was on fire.
The fire was quickly extinguished, but smoke remained on the floor.
The moms and their newborns were taken to another part of the hospital to receive care. Laboring women on the second floor were also transferred to another portion of the medical center. Anne Arundel Medical Center spokeswoman Kelly Swan said 10 patients were moved from the pavilion's first floor because of the smoke odor.
No one was injured.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Start a discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Billed as the biggest food truck assembly to ever happen in D.C., "Curbside Cookoff: Trucko De Mayo" took place on Saturday with at least 40 vendors.