MARYLAND

Ike Leggett dissatisfied with Pepco's outage response

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

Montgomery County Executive Ike Leggett is speaking out about Pepco’s response to the outage.

Earlier this week, Leggett said, “I will not accept the timetable of July the 6th. Having our citizens go seven days without utilities, in my opinion, is not the kind of service we should expect.”

As of 5 a.m. Tuesday, approximately 140 intersections were reportedly without power in hard-hit Montgomery County after Friday's powerful storm.

With temperatures forecasted to reach the 90’s, Leggett says residents will have the difficult challenge of dealing with the heat and humidity for a fifth day.

Last year, Pepco asked the Maryland Public Service Commission for a rate increase to cover service-related expenses, but Leggett says he’s not sure the raise is warranted.

“I hope that the public service commission looks at it very carefully,” he said.

“Right now, that’s going to be a very difficult case, in my opinion, to justify a rate increase,” Leggett added.

Some officials say burying power lines would prevent future outages of this magnitude, but Leggett says the cost would be “extraordinarily expensive” and should be proposed on a “more selective basis” as some areas may need it more than others.

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus