List of top 10 consumer complaints released
Consumers want to spend their money on good service and products, but that's not always what they get.
Tuesday, the Consumer Federation of America (CFA) and the North American Consumer Protection Investigators (NACPI) released the results of their survey of the top 10 consumer complaints.
The results were formed from 290,000 complaints from 2010.
CFA's and NACPI's top 10 consumer complaints are as follows:
1. Auto: Misrepresentations in advertising or sales of new and used cars, lemons, faulty repairs, leasing and towing disputes
2. Credit/Debt: Billing and fee disputes, mortgage modifications and mortgage-related fraud, credit repair, debt relief services, predatory lending, illegal or abusive debt collection tactics
3. Home Improvement/Construction: Shoddy work, failure to start or complete the job
4. Retail Sales: False advertising and other deceptive practices, defective merchandise, problems with rebates, coupons, gift cards and gift certificates, failure to deliver
5. Utilities: Service problems or billing disputes with phone, cable, satellite, Internet, electric and gas service
6. Services: Misrepresentations, shoddy work, failure to have required licenses, failure to perform
7. Internet Sales: Misrepresentations or other deceptive practice, failure to deliver online purchases; Landlord/Tenant: Unhealthy or unsafe conditions, failure to make repairs or provide promised amenities, deposit and rent disputes, illegal eviction tactics
8. Fraud: Bogus sweepstakes and lotteries, work-at-home schemes, grant offers, fake check scams, the grandparent scam and other common frauds
9. Real Estate: Timeshare sales and resales, retirement communities and assisted living facilities, real estate fraud.
10. Household Goods: Misrepresentations, failure to deliver, faulty repairs in connection with furniture or appliances; Home Solicitations: Misrepresentations or failure to deliver in door-to-door, telemarketing or mail solicitations, do-not-call violations
Some concerns that are new to the list are those about bed bugs in apartments, penny auctions on the Internet and gold-buying companies.
Here are a few tips to make you purchasing experiences a positive one:
- Pay with a credit card.
- Get contracts or promises in writing.
- If you are dealing with a contractor, do not pay upfront
-If you are seeking help with financial problems, like debt and mortgages, make sure you use legitimate and verified services.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Billed as the biggest food truck assembly to ever happen in D.C., "Curbside Cookoff: Trucko De Mayo" took place on Saturday with at least 40 vendors.