Mayor Vincent Gray's 2010 campaign used unauthorized public-housing database, report says
D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray is finding himself responding to new allegations stemming, once again, from his 2010 campaign.
Apparently, Gray’s campaign used an unauthorized database of public housing residents to help its “Get-Out-The-Vote” effort.
According to the Washington Post, the list of 6,000 residents helped Gray’s campaign identify individuals thought to be among the most sympathetic to his cause but who generally have not turned out in significant numbers in city elections.
The list included the names, addresses and phone numbers of people receiving public assistance in several housing complexes, which are all located in precincts that Gray won by a large margin.
"I don't know the existence of any such list, and even if there were such a list it would have been useless," Gray said.
The D.C. Housing Authority says it didn’t release the information.
It is unclear who assembled the list or how the campaign got it, the Post reports.
D.C. resident Laura LaPrade said, "I think it seems suspicious that all these things happened in his campaign that he had no idea about."
Despite all the allegations, many residents are standing by the mayor.
"Overall, I think he's a good mayor," added D.C. resident Paulette Powell.
The allegations come after three supporters and aides to the Gray campaign have pleaded guilty to various campaign violations.
D.C. resident Alicia Gray said, "It's still not over. I think it's going to continue. Every time they look, they're gonna find something."
As the investigation continues and more and more allegations surface, Gray continues on with the day-to-day business of the city. But even a routine speech at the International AIDS Conference was sidetracked by protestors upset with the lack of housing for HIV patients.
After his speech, a frustrated Gray refused to stop and speak with reporters.
"Clearly the drip, drip, drip is what builds in most scandals, and this is no exception. It can't keep dripping or else he's going to drown," Howard Park, also of D.C., said.
Gray countered, "We're not creating the drip, drip, drip. We're continuing to do out job. If somebody has concrete evidence, then put it on the table."
So far, none of the prosecutor's evidence or revelations in the press have linked Gray to any wrongdoing.
But for the first time, a member of the mayor's family has been drawn into the controversy. Gray's son Carlos Gray is mentioned in the Post report, because he works at the Housing Authority, where the list originated. But, Carlos denies having anything to do with the list, and there's no evidence linking either Gray.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
For all the breaking stories happening in your neighborhood and developing stories happening around the world, join Leon Harris and Alison Starling weeknights on ABC7 News at 5 and 11.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
@TBD On Foot
Best of TBD In case you missed it
Billed as the biggest food truck assembly to ever happen in D.C., "Curbside Cookoff: Trucko De Mayo" took place on Saturday with at least 40 vendors.