Infant, grandmother rescued from burning apartment
A four-month-old infant and his grandmother, trapped by smoke and fire, are safe tonight and they have some brave firefighters to thank for their safety.
The fire started in the bedroom of a first floor apartment in New Carrollton Friday morning. It wasn’t a big fire, but it was smoky.
“The smoke in there is really bad,” says Iantha Creek.
“You couldn’t see through the hallway right there. Yeah, it was pretty bad,” says Malcolm Brown.
And that was the reason to fear. Smoke inhalation is the greatest risk in situations like this and on the third floor, Aminaca Sesay and her infant grandson stood trapped. Firefighters arrived, put their ladders up, and carried them to safety, the baby still in his carrier.
With everyone safe, the fire was quickly doused before the situation grew even worse.
“They did a pretty good job. They got it out, they got it out quick,” says Brown.
“I’m glad the baby is alright,” says Creek.
The fire was knocked down in about 15 minutes. No one was injured.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Start a discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"