Va. health officials report 2nd meningitis death
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Virginia health officials say a second person has died in the state from a rare outbreak of meningitis.
Virginia Department of Health spokesman Matthew Lipani said Tuesday night the latest death involved an adult who lived in southwestern Virginia.
The victim's name wasn't immediately released.
Last week an autopsy confirmed a Salem man who received a spinal injection for relief from a pinched nerve died Sept. 18 of acute fungal meningitis.
Nearly three dozen suspected meningitis cases in Virginia have been reported from among 689 patients who received injections of a possibly tainted batch of steroids typically used to relieve back pain. Virginia health officials said two clinics, in Roanoke and Christiansburg, are the only medical facilities in the state to have received the now-recalled steroid from a Massachusetts supplier.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"