MARYLAND

Fires break out in 5 Maryland homes; Oxon Hill man dies

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

Five fires broke out in Maryland homes Sunday. An Oxon Hill man has died following a fire in his home. In Hyattsville, 13 people were displaced by a fire at their duplex. Several residents escaped a fire in Bethesda. Two adults and three teens were displaced by a fire in Forestville. And a malfunctioning chimney caused a blaze in Seat Pleasant.

9500 block of Fernwood Road in Bethesda, Md. Photo: Jay Korff/WJLA

The Oxon Hill man was attempting to refuel a working kerosene heater inside his home when the vapors ignited, says Prince George's County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor.

Fire crews were called to the 5100 block of Boulder Drive just before 5:30 a.m. The male victim, 59, was found immediately, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation. His wife also suffered smoke inhalation.

Both were transported to an area hospital, where the man was considered to be in extremely critical condition. He was later pronounced dead. The female victim was listed in fair condition.

No additional injuries were reported. The fire caused $50,000 in damage.

Around 11:45 a.m., Prince George's County crews were called to a fire at a duplex in the 2500 block of Van Buren Street in Hyattsville. (This was reported earlier as being in Chillum.)

No one was injured, but 13 residents were displaced, including two from one side of the duplex and 11 from the other unit.

The fire started outside of the house in the area of the heat pump/HVAC unit. It then spread to the home’s interior and caused significant damage to both homes in the duplex, according to Mark Brady, PGFD chief spokesperson.

A fire started in a garage in the 9500 block of Fernwood Road in Bethesda. The occupants of the house escaped and no injuries were reported, according to the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.

The fire in Forestville was in a single family home in the 8100 block of Vineyard Drive. Two adults and three teens were displaced from their home, according to Prince George's County Fire officials.

Brady says a malfunctioning chimney allowed a fire to spread from the fireplace to the second floor of a home in Seat Pleasant. It happened Monday morning in the 6000 block of Seat Pleasant Drive. It's unclear if anyone was injured or displaced by this fire.

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus