Rhodes Scholars announced for 2013
WASHINGTON (AP) - Thirty-two American students were named Sunday in the newest group of Rhodes Scholars and will be awarded scholarships to study at Oxford University.
The prestigious awards provide all expenses for up to four years of study at the university in England. The winners were selected from 838 applicants endorsed by 302 different colleges and universities. The scholars will enter Oxford next October.
Rhodes Scholarships were created in 1902 by the will of British philanthropist Cecil Rhodes and have a value of about $50,000 per year.
Winners are selected on the basis of high academic achievement, personal integrity, leadership potential and physical vigor, among other attributes.
The American students will join an international group of scholars selected from 14 other jurisdictions around the world. About 80 scholars are selected each year.
The following students were named Rhodes Scholars for 2013:
- Margaret C. Hayden, Brunswick, Maine (Stanford)
- Phillip Z. Yao, North Caldwell, N.J. (Harvard)
- Julian B. Gewirtz, Hamden, Conn. (Harvard)
- Benjamine Y. Liu, Westlake Village, Calif. (Yale)
- Jennifer M. Bright, New York (Yale)
- Aiden C.de B. Daly, New York (Harvard)
- David M. Carel, Penn Valley, Pa. (Yale)
- Dakota E. McCoy, Wexford, Pa. (Yale)
- Christopher B. Dobyns, Highland, Md. (Cornell)
- Rachel M. Myrick, Charlotte, N.C. (University of North Carolina)
- Juliet Elizabeth Allan, Atlanta (University of Georgia)
- Daniel W. Young, Charlottesville, Va. (Cornell)
- Joy A. Buolamwini, Cordova, Tenn. (Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Joseph W. Riley, Athens, Tenn. (University of Virginia)
- Mubeen A. Shakir, Oklahoma City (University of Oklahoma)
- Nina M. Yancy, DeSoto, Texas (Harvard)
- Allan J. Hsiao, Louisville, Ky. (Harvard)
- Micah A. Johnson, Canton, Ohio (Yale)
- Rhiana E. Gunn-Wright, Oak Lawn, Ill. (Yale)
- Benjamin B.H. Wilcox, Winnetka, Ill. (Harvard)
- Clayton P. Aldern, Cedar, Minn. (Brown)
- Georgianna H. Whiteley, Wayzata, Minn. (Luther College)
- Kiley F. Hunkler, Glendale, Mo. (U.S. Military Academy)
- Rachel M. Woodlee, Greer, S.C. (Wofford College)
- Rachel R. Kolb, Los Ranchos, N.M. (Stanford)
- Christian H. Heller, Beulah, N.D. (U.S. Naval Academy)
- Joseph W. Thiel, Boise, Idaho (Montana State University)
- Amanda J. Frickle, Billings, Mont. (The College of Idaho)
- Catherine Laporte-Oshiro, Larkspur, Calif. (Yale)
- Daniel A. Price, Grass Valley, Calif. (University of California, Berkeley)
- Katie D. Whitcombe, Mesa, Ariz. (U.S. Naval Academy)
- Evan R. Szablowski, Bakersfield, Calif. (U.S. Military Academy)
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"