Anton Geiser, former Nazi guard, dies at 88
PITTSBURGH (AP) - A lawyer says a former Nazi concentration camp guard who had been fighting attempts to deport him from the U.S. has died in Pennsylvania.
Attorney Adrian Roe says 88-year-old Anton Geiser died over the weekend and was buried Monday in Hermitage, about 75 miles north of Pittsburgh.
Geiser was born in what is now Croatia. He'd been living in Pennsylvania for more than 50 years but didn't tell his family about the Nazi service until 2004, when the Justice Department began legal proceedings.
Geiser has said he was forced to join the SS at the age of 17 in 1942 and that he never killed anyone. But federal prosecutors say his work as a concentration camp guard made him a party to the persecution of countless men, women and children.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"