Menorah starts fire at UMd. off-campus apartments
Fire officials say a menorah lit in celebration of Hanukkah caused a fire that displaced nine University of Maryland students.
Prince George's County fire crews were called to the off-campus apartments, located in the 4200 block of Knox Road, around 6:50 p.m. Monday.
Smoke was seen coming from the brick building, which is known to students as a "Knox Box" because of its look and location. Firefighters quickly extinguished the kitchen fire; no injuries were reported.
Officials say an unattended candle lit on a Hanukkah menorah started the fire. The residents of the apartment told crews on the scene they stepped away for a moment and returned to find their home on fire.
Nine students from at least two apartments were displaced. They are being assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"