Temple Hills fire injures three firefighters, 13 rescued
Updated: December 26, 2012 - 03:31 pm
- Firefighters safely evacuated 13 people from the home after it caught fire. Photo: Billy McNeal/PGFD
TEMPLE HILLS, Md. (AP) - Authorities say three Prince George's County firefighters were injured while fighting a house fire in Temple Hills.
Fire department spokesman Mark Brady says the three firefighters sustained burns as a result of intense heat while trying to prevent a fire in the basement of the home from spreading. One was burned on the neck, ears and wrist; another was burned on his arms and wrist; and a third was burned on his ears, wrist and knee. Despite wearing their full personal protective equipment and gear, they sustained first and second-degree burns.
All three were transported to the burn unit at Washington Hospital Center and released later in the day.
No others were injured. Firefighters were called to the scene just before 3 a.m. Wednesday and searched the house. They were later informed that all 13 occupants got out safely.
Brady says the fire was accidental and caused by a malfunctioning dehumidifier.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Latest VideosWatch videos from ABC7, NewsChannel 8 and more
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"