Gen. John Allen's NATO nomination to go ahead, White House says
Updated: January 23, 2013 - 01:37 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says it will go ahead with Gen. John Allen's nomination to become NATO commander.
The nomination had been put on hold while the Pentagon investigated Allen's email exchanges with a Florida woman linked to a sex scandal that led David Petraeus to resign as CIA director.
The Pentagon said on Tuesday that its inspector general determined that the email exchanges did not amount to conduct unbecoming an officer.
White House press secretary Jay Carney says he hopes the Senate will consider Allen's nomination "in a timely manner."
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.