Metro major track work to continue for four more years
WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro's general manager says about four more years of major track work are in store for the transit system's aging rail network.
Richard Sarles said in an appearance on WAMU-FM Monday that it would take "four more years of intense work" just to get the system functioning on a level consistent with 10 years ago.
Sarles says the 36-year-old rail network has an extensive backlog of needed work after years of inadequate funding.
Riders have already gone through years of scheduled track work delays. Metro avoids doing maintenance during rush hours. But in recent years, Metro has started projects earlier in the evenings.
In July 2011, the system created a calendar of track work covering nearly every weekend.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.