Geraldine R. Key killed in Charles County fatal fire
A 66-year-old woman was killed Tuesday when her rural Charles County home caught fire overnight, officials say.
Charles County Fire officials say that the body of Geraldine Key was found inside a home in the 5300 block of Stuckey Road in Indian Head after her house caught fire at about midnight.
Fire officials say Key couldn't escape from her bedroom.
The fire was caused when something combustible came into contact with a kerosene heater.
Due to safety concerns about entering the burning home, firefighters were forced to fight the flames from outside only. Subsequently, it took firefighters an hour to put it out.
"We had numerous companies from the area respond,” Marbury Fire Department Deputy Chief Mike Gordon said. “(In) total, we probably had about 50 firefighters here that assisted in extinguishing the blaze."
One firefighter received burns to his right arm. He was treated and was treated and released from a local hospital.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Latest VideosWatch videos from ABC7, NewsChannel 8 and more
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"